Recipe by Pitmaster Shane Hauck
Smoked Chocolate Covered Pretzel Bread Pudding
Prep: 2 hours
Cook: 1 hour
Yield: 13×9 tray
- 3 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup sugar
- Pinch salt
- 3 eggs
- 5-6 cups of bread (I used King Hawaiian sweet rolls)
- One 7.5oz bag chocolate covered pretzels (I used Flipz, choose any flavor!)
- Gather all ingredients. Grease a 13×9 tray. Heat smoker to 320 (if you do not have smoker, heat your oven to 350 F, and this recipe will take about 40 minutes to cook that way). I use my Bradley smoker, and the Pecan wood bisquettes gave it a real nice touch.
- In a small sauce pot, heat milk, butter, sugar, salt and vanilla. Heat until butter is melted, and remove from heat to cool.
- Cut bread up into two inch cube pieces so you have 5-6 cups. Crush bag of C.C. pretzels, and combine with bread cubes in 13×9 tray.
Once milk mixture is cooled, beat 3 eggs together and stir into the milk mixture. Add milk mixture now to the 13×9 tray of bread and pretzels. Stir softly and evenly just to coat all parts of the dessert, but you don’t want to mash the bread up too much. Let bread pudding sit 1 hour before cooking. This helps the bread really absorb the liquid and flavor, and make it more “custardy”.
Put in smoker and cook for 1 hour. When the tray is pulled out, the bread should have a nice dark golden brown top. Cut and enjoy! I recommend with some ice cream.
Thanks Shane @TheHungryDollar Hauck!
Thanks for a great recipe!
Share your photos with us after you’ve made it!