- Cooking Method: Slow Cooker
- Cooking Time: 2 h to 3 h
- 8 Medium tomatoes, cut in half and core removed
- 2 ½ cup – Onions, diced
- 1 ½ cup – Green bell peppers, diced
- 1 cup – Jalapeño peppers, diced
- 6 Garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp – Cumin
- 2 tsp – Black pepper
- 2 tbsp – Canning salt
- ⅓ cup – White sugar
- ⅓ cup – White vinegar
- 12 oz – Tomato paste (1 can)
- A few chunks of wood for smoking
- Preheat your smoker to 250°F;
- Place all the vegetables on an aluminum pan or cookie sheet; Smoke the vegetables 1 to 2 hours using your favorite wood;
- Remove from the smoker and peel all the tomatoes using hands or tongs then place all the ingredients in a 4 quart pot and bring to a boil; Lower heat to a simmer for 1 hour;
- Ladle the salsa in pint size jars, they can be processed in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes (if you skip this step be sure to store your salsa in the fridge).
Thanks Brad Woods for this awesome recipe!
Brad is an admin in our Facebook group and a very talented pitmaster!